Words are powerful. Capable of causing great harm either when used in a physical conversation, over the phone, text or email. Moreover, negative words stand out and are capable of causing great trouble. You want to avoid trouble in the workplace then avoid the following phrases.
1. Blame: This is quite a big word to use in the workplace. When you say blame, you create a kind of buzz. it is part of those words you cannot use in a healthy way, no matter how much it is coined.
2. Assume: Assumption leads to friction. it simply connotes that you are an indecisive person. Be careful about saying the word “assuming”, either by mail or in a phone conversation. If you are yet to make up your mind, It is best to request for more time to think.
3. Subject: You can surely get away with calling your children or perhaps your family members subjects, if not jokingly but you cannot get away with referring to your fellow co-workers or the people below your rank, your subjects. It is wise you call them your subordinate even if it means the same thing but in different context.
4. Dumb: “Is that lady in human resources dumb?” This is wrong. Referring to someone as dumb does not show politeness. It is best to highlight the specific issue bugging you about the person rather than go about calling her dumb – most times, a constructive feedback is needed to make one sit up.
5. Fat or Obese: Just like beauty in the eyes of the beholder, everyone has a different view about a particular body stature, hence don’t bother to apply for the job of describing how a person is. In fact, don’t ever address people by their weight either by using the phrase “fat” or “obese”. Obese has a pretty negative interpretation.
6. Gunning: This connotes killing, beating and annihilating, to “gun” has a few negative meaning not intended for a friendly conversation. However, Sales people might be “gunning” for new clients, but remember that the word has a few obvious implications, which may be negative.
7. Stupid: Occasionally we are compelled to use harsh words such as “you must be stupid” “what stupid report is this?” especially when the situation or the environment is tensed. Using a phrase like this has a negative consequence capable of denting a relationship for life.
If you find yourself in a buzzy situation like this, use your words sparingly that could be the only thing that stands you out from the rest.