Bleaching is an ineffective and unhealthy way of lightening up one’s skin. Asides from it giving an uneven body tone, it does great danger to the skin, makes it prone to cancer and other skin diseases. Though, some of these creams produce results in just 2 weeks, however its usage wrecks great havoc to the skin.
Ninety percent of the lightening creams sold today contains a compound called Hydroquinone: which is a major cause of skin cancer.
Now that we know the dangers of using bleaching creams, how then does one achieve a lightened skin tone naturally?
Below are five natural methods to achieve an even and healthy lightened skin.
Honey is a natural substance that helps moisturize and lighten up the skin to give clear flawless one. Honey has antibacterial properties that can help fade age spots and acne scars, clear out black spot which most toning creams do not do.
How to Apply
• Get an original made honey (you can find them in popular grocery stores)
• Gently apply the honey on your face and any other region of your body you desire a change in complexion.
• Leave the honey mask on your face for about 20-30 minutes.
• Rinse with lukewarm water (be careful not to apply extra force on your face when washing)
• Do this daily for effective results and preferably at night before going to bed.
To make a skin-lightening mask, combine one teaspoon each of honey and lemon juice, one tablespoon of powdered milk, and one-half teaspoon of almond oil. Mix them well and apply it gently on the skin. Leave it on for 10 – 15 minutes and then wash it off with cold water. Do this every other day.
The acidic property in lemons work as a natural bleaching agent for the skin and the high amount of vitamin C in them encourages new cell growth. Also, lemons have antioxidants that are very good for skin complexion.
How to Apply
- Dip a cotton ball in freshly squeezed lemon juice and apply it directly on your face. You can even rub a cut lemon directly over the affected skin and allow the juice to stick to the skin. Leave it on for at least an hour and then wash your face with water.
- Mix three teaspoons of lemon juice and one teaspoon of turmeric powder. Apply this mixture on the skin and leave it on for half an hour. Wash off with water.
- Alternatively, mix together one teaspoon each of lemon juice, powdered milk and honey. Apply it on your skin and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Do this daily or every other day.
When using these remedies, be sure there are no open wounds on your skin. The acidic nature of lemon juice can cause pain in open wounds. Also, lemon juice may not be suitable for sensitive skin or if you are allergic to lemons.
Yogurt, a by-product of milk, has many nutrients that are good for the skin and effective for skin toning.. It is very hard to believe that Lactic Acid in yoghurt can help lighten up one’s skin when consumed.
How to Apply
- Gently rub plain yogurt onto your skin. Leave it on for a few minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Continue with this until you get the desired result you want.
- Alternatively, mix one tablespoon of fresh yogurt with one-half tablespoon of honey. Apply the mixture on your face and neck. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash it off with water. Do this daily to improve your skin tone and complexion.
- You can also add a little lemon juice and some oatmeal to yogurt to make a thick paste, and apply it as a face mask. This remedy will also help keep your skin supple and moisturized
Vitamin C is a very important ingredient in skin care which can be got in abundance from oranges. In addition, oranges have bleaching properties that can lighten your skin tone.
Research has shown that regular consumption of fresh orange juice can greatly improve the overall texture of your skin as well as its suppleness.
More oranges means More Vitamin C and More Vitamin C equals Better Skin Texture/ Beauty
To lighten your skin, oranges can be used in two different ways.
How to Apply
- Combine two tablespoons of orange juice and a pinch of powdered turmeric. Apply this mixture on your face and neck or in areas you desire an improved complexion before going to bed. You can also apply it on your hands and legs. Wash it off after 20 to 30 minutes. Do this daily.
- Grind dried orange peels into powder. Mix one tablespoon of the powdered peels with one tablespoon of plain yogurt to make a paste. Apply the paste on your skin and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it off with water. This will help lighten spots and other marks on your face. Do this once or twice a week, but no more than that.
Turmeric is also available for sale in some local grocery stores.
This is one common home made ingredient for skin lightening. Aloe vera works against hyperpigmentation to restore your skin’s original colour. Hyperpigmentation is one of the main causes of uneven skin tone. Aloe vera has a cooling effect which helps to regenerate new cells and rebuild damaged tissue.
- Cut the outer layers of an aloe vera leaf. Squeeze out the thick, jelly-like substance.
- Apply the gel thoroughly on your skin.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes, and then wash it off with water.
- Do this at least twice daily for two weeks.
This remedy using aloe vera gel lightens dark spots and improve overall skin complexion.
These Home remedies are purely natural and will in doubt produce effective results if strictly adhered to. You can share ideas and more on natural ways to achieve a healthy even lightened skin.